Sunday, April 7, 2013

Bennington Battle Monument

2010-10-25 - 171945It’s been almost three years since I first visited the Bennington Battle Monument, but when I saw it from the highway, I knew I had to see it.

I can’t remember where I had left or where I was going, but it was just one of those serendipities that happens with thousands of miles logged on this nation’s highways. This could possibly be on your way between Burlington, VT; Manchester, MA; or Boston, MA and Albany, NY. Per Wikipedia, the monument is a 301-306 ft. obelisk commemorating the Battle of Bennington during the Revolutionary War where two detachments of British soldiers were defeated while trying to capture a store of weapons and food.

blog

2010-10-25 - 172231

What I do remember is that I was on some backcountry highway with rolling hills and the Fall foliage was showing its brilliance. I looked out the car window and saw the top of the monument poking out above the treetops and as soon as I passed the road sign directing me to the exit, I pulled off onto the surface roads.

Neither my presenter or I were disappointed by the 10 minutes it took to drive there and the 20 minutes it took for us to take some pictures, look around, and get back in the car. What a good detour on an otherwise normal drive between seminar cities.

[ Wikipedia article ]  [ VT official site ]

No comments:

Post a Comment